Foreign National Student Intern Program
The Foreign National Student Intern Program is designed for students who are non-U.S. citizens seeking internships with the U.S. Consulate Merida. This program benefits both the Consulate and students by providing the Foreign National student with valuable experience in a Consulate environment and by assisting the Mission in accomplishing their goals. Interns will not receive compensation, benefits, or have any future employment rights.
- Mission’s requirements for Mexican Student Interns:
- Minimum age: The Intern Program applicants must be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment.
- The student must have completed academic courses relevant to the type of work to be performed.
- Good working knowledge English proficiency. Good working knowledge English proficiency: TOEFL ITP – 520+ TOEFL IBT – 68+ TOEIC PBT – 655+
- The student must be in good academic standing at their current educational institution and a minimum GPA of 8.0 is required
- The student must receive a security certification from the RSO (Regional Security Office) following selection.
- Submit a copy of medical insurance/ healthcare system
- There are no benefits attached to this temporary internship and no compensation.
- The intern’s part-time schedule is flexible within the Consulate’s working hours (7:30 am – 4:30 pm).
Students Applying for Intern Positions To be eligible for consideration for an Intern position, students must submit documentation prior to the closing date on the Vacancy Announcement:
HOW TO APPLY: ¯ Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified:
- Complete the Statement of Interest. Should include the student’s objectives and motivations in seeking an internship and how their academic courses and other experiences relate to the U.S. Mission’s goals/office needs.
- Sign the U.S. Department Of State Gratuitous Service Agreement.
- The intern needs to have a written request and permission from her/his university at which the student is enrolled before accepting the internship
- Provide a transcript of grades. A minimum GPA of 8.0 is required.
- Submit TOEFL/TOEIC English proficiency score English level III: TOEFL ITP/PBT – 520+ TOEFL iBT – 68+ TOEIC PBT – 655+
- Submit all documents to MeridaHR@state.gov