Date: February 23, 2020
Location: Matamoros, Mexico
Event: At approximately 1:30 a.m., on Sunday, February 23, 2020, an unexploded hand grenade was found in the vicinity of Matamoros City Hall, about one mile south of the U.S. Consulate General Matamoros. Due to this event and the recent shooting of a member of the Mexican military on Thursday, February 20, 2020, U.S. government personnel are advised against attending public events and large gatherings.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Contact the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy if you need assistance.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Mexico Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.