Event: Holiday Safety Tips (December 23, 2020)
Please review the steps below to keep you and your loved ones safe during this holiday season:
- As a reminder, land border crossings are restricted to essential travel (travel for educational, emergency, medical, and work-related purposes) to curb the spread of COVID-19.
- In many states, COVID-19 cases and related hospitalizations are increasing and hospitals are near capacity.
- Consular services, like appointments for emergency passports, are currently limited due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Drive defensively; the number of drunk drivers greatly increases during the holidays.
- Park in well-lit spaces and don’t leave valuables in your vehicle.
- Never leave your car unoccupied with the motor running or with children inside. A car can be stolen in seconds.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; if you need to use an ATM, use one indoors or in some other well-lit, populated area.
- Maintain a low personal profile and avoid drawing attention to yourself.
- Never give out your personal information such as family member names, addresses, or telephone numbers in an open setting.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call (55) 8526 2561 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- To learn about the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Mexico and their locations visit https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/find-your-consular-location/
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Mexico.
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow the State Department on Facebook and Twitter
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico