An official website of the United States government

Emergency Financial Assistance
U.S. Citizen Services
May 28, 2021

Transferring Funds

The U.S. Embassy and its 9 consulates in Mexico can help you to contact your family If you lose your money and/or other financial resources, or if you are robbed, so you can arrange for them to send funds.

The fastest way to provide money from the U.S. to Mexico is to use a commercial service.  Several companies offer such a service including Western Union.  Your family in the U.S. can visit Western Union’s website for a list of procedures and requirements.

What Receivers Need
In order to collect the money, senders must provide the cash recipient with:

  • The 10-digit confirmation number
  • Full (and correct) name and telephone number of the sender
  • Name, address and telephone number of the Western Union office in the U.S. from which the money was sent.

You must present your passport at the time of pick up.

Western Union uses the money-changing service Elektra as one of its agent locations in Mexico.  If you wish to send or receive money, you can find the locations on Western Union’s website, on Elektra’s website, on Money gram (https://secure.moneygram.com/send/receiverInfo) or using the Mexican telephone Yellow Pages.

To learn more about transferring funds through the State Department, please see Sending Money to U.S. Citizens Overseas.