An official website of the United States government

Entrance/Language Exams
April 5, 2020

Most U.S. universities and colleges require the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) IBT for admission. The test is given several times a year. You should sign up well ahead of time in order to have the scores back in time for submission of applications.

To search for dates, center locations, and register, go to the TOEFL website, www.ets.org/toefl.

Depending on the level of study or academic discipline, you may have to take a specific admissions entrance exam.  Below are the most common:

  • Graduate School (Masters and Ph.D.)
    • Programs in business, economics, finance and related areas: GMAT (www.mba.com)
    • Programs in the social sciences, hard sciences and related areas: GRE (www.ets.org/gre)
    • Programs in medical sciences: USMLE (www.ecfmg.org)

If you have further questions about any of these exams, or if you would like to consult preparation materials, please contact your nearest EducationUSA advising center. EducationUSA centers actively promote U.S. higher education around the world by offering accurate, unbiased, comprehensive, objective and timely information about educational institutions in the United States and guidance to qualified individuals on how best to access those opportunities.

If you live in or near Mexico City, visit EducationUSA at the address located on the right of this page from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, or email an adviser at mexicodf@educationusa.info for further information. Information is also available through the following social networks:

Facebook:        www.facebook.com/educationusa.mexico
Twitter:             EducationUSAMX
Skype:              educationusa.mexico

View educational videos:
You Tube:         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SdmghDVJ58

If you live outside of Mexico City, please find your nearest advising center by visiting the EducationUSA website at www.educationusa.info/mexico.