|Announcement Type:||Request for Federal Assistance Awards Applications|
|NOFO Opportunity Number:||SMX53018GR0008|
|Public Opportunity Title:||Security, police, justice system and citizenship in Baja California|
|Opportunity Explanation:||This opportunity is intended to assist efforts in reducing crime and violence and strengthen the rule of law in Baja California by civil society organizations and academic institutions working in the following areas: security, police capacities, and the justice system.|
|Program Type||INL Outreach|
|Grant Program||Merida Initiative|
|Expected Number of Awards:||Up to 5|
|CFDA Number(s):||19.703 – Criminal Justice Systems|
|Posted Date:||March 12, 2018|
|Last Updated Date:||March 12, 2018|
|Deadline for Receipt of Questions:||March 26, 2018|
|Original Closing Date for Applications:||April 06, 2018|
|Current Closing Date for Applications:||April 06, 2018|
|Estimated Total Program Funding:||$20,000.00 USD|
|Award Ceiling:||$10,000.00 USD|
|Award Floor:||$2,000.00 USD|
|Eligible Applicants:||Qualified Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Educational Institutions and other qualified organizations for a Grant/Cooperative to implement a program.|
|Additional Information:||All documents must be submitted in English. (Please note: Per Department policy, English is the official and controlling language for all submitted application/award documents.)|
NOTICE OF FUNDING OPPORTUNITY
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana, Mexico and the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL) invite all eligible organizations who operate in the state of Baja California to submit a proposal for a grant to design and implement a program to work in one or more of the following areas:
- Assist police departments/institutions in improving their work, performance and results to reduce crime and violence through targeted support and technical tools (no training).
- Initiatives that inform citizens and victims how the justice system works, how it affects them and how to be active actors/watchdogs in its implementation.
- Initiatives to make the justice institutions efficient, accountable, and accessible.
- Assist government institutions and police departments to strengthen their culture of lawfulness and rule of law, transparency, and anticorruption efforts and practices.
- Initiatives to enhance the capacity of civil society organizations and independent bodies to function as credible watchdogs and as effective partners with the government to promote a better performance of the justice system institutions.
The goals of this funding opportunity are to:
- Foster the collaboration of civil society and security related public institutions to mitigate and reduce crime and violence.
- Expand access to and support for the justice system and human rights in the state of Baja California;
- Promote new or innovative approaches to strengthen the justice system and its institutions.
- Strengthen police departments’ abilities, results and public perception of their work.
Any prospective applicant who has questions concerning the contents of this request for proposals should email them to ConcursoConsuladoTJ@state.gov. All application documents must be submitted electronically to ConcursoConsuladoTJ@state.gov. Applications submitted via other means will not be accepted.