LPR cards (Greencards) lost/stolen/expired

Dear resident if your Legal Permanent Resident card (commonly known as greencard) got lost/stolen/expired will traveling in Mexico please read the following options carefully.  The U.S. Consulate General Merida will do everything it can to assist you and return you to the U.S.

Please see below for your four options for returning to the U.S., presented in order of processing time, from least to most time required:

  1. Have your airline call the Regional Carrier Liaison Group in Miami and seek permission to board without an entry document.

More information is available at:


Note that this is a recommendation to the airline by CBP. The airline retains ultimate authority to board or deny boarding. This is a service provided by the airline to the passenger. The Consulate is not involved in the process.

  1. Cross a land border and present your case to CBP there. You will be able to apply for admission to the U.S. with CBP without your LPR card.

More information is available at:


  1. Schedule an appointment and file the form I-131A with the Cosular Section in Mexico City.

Please follow the instructions here:


  1. Schedule an appointment and file the Form I-131A* with the Consulate for a boarding foil with a 48-hour turnaround. Service is only available Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

To schedule an appointment, please confirm that you have completed the I-131A* and paid the fee sending an email to MeridaVisas@state.gov

*If you plan to file a Form I-131A to apply for a LPR boarding foil, please note that you must pay the filing fee online on the USCIS website before appearing in person at a consular section.  Information on the new form and fee is located here. You must bring evidence of payment, in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page, when you appear in person to file Form I-131A.  As with all immigration fees, USCIS does not issue refunds, regardless of the decision on the application.

You may find additional information on and instructions for the I-131A on the I-131A Form and Instructions page.

Should you have further questions, please feel free to contact the Consulate via email at MeridaVisas@state.gov