Options surrounding the loss of your Lawful Permanent Resident card.

Thank you for inquiring about your options surrounding the loss of your Lawful Permanent Resident card.

Please note: If you have been outside of the United States for more than 365 calendar days, you may no longer be in Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status and must consult U.S. Citizens and Immigration Services (USCIS) for further guidance by calling the USCIS Contact Center at +1 (212) 620-3418.

If you are an LPR who has been outside of the United States for fewer than 365 days, below are three options for returning to the United States:

  1. Apply for admission directly with Customs and Border Protection at a land port of entry. More information is available about land ports of entry at: http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports
  2. Ask your airline to call the Regional Carrier Liaison Group in Miami and seek permission to board without an entry document. The airline retains ultimate authority to board or deny boarding. This is a service provided by the airline to the passenger.  The U.S. Embassy is not involved in the process.  More information is available at: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/travel-industry-personnel/carrier-liaison-prog
  3. Apply for a boarding foil (one-time entry) with the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City. To do this please follow the steps below:
    1. File the form I-131A with USCIS at: https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/log-online-filing
    2. Pay the $575 application fee (non-refundable) and retain receipt of payment at: https://www.uscis.gov/i-131a
    3. Request an appointment by sending the completed I-131A and proof of fee payment to the following email address: MexCityLostLPRCard@state.gov


If requesting a boarding foil, the Embassy will provide you with an appointment for an interview only after you have completed the steps in Option 3 above.  If your boarding foil is approved at the time of your interview, it will require two business days to print.  A boarding foil is valid for one-time entry to the United States within one month of approval.  The fee for the appointment is non-refundable regardless of the decision rendered.  Do not make travel plans until you have received your boarding foil.

You may find additional general information and the instructions for the I-131A at https://www.uscis.gov/i-131a.