Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Mexico City, Mexico (June 8, 2020)
Location: Cuauhtémoc, Mexico City, Mexico
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place on June 8, 2020, beginning at 2:00 p.m., to protest alleged police violence in Mexico. Protesters plan to gather near the Angel de la Independencia monument and move towards the Zocalo. Protesters may also gather at the Citizen Security Secretariat in Colonia Juarez.
As with all such gatherings, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas where there are known demonstrations and exercise caution if you encounter a large gathering or demonstration. Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and follow the instructions of local authorities.
Access to the Embassy may be limited or restricted depending on the protesters’ actions and police response. Personnel and visitors entering and exiting the Embassy should exercise caution and avoid large crowds that may have gathered nearby.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Contact the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy if you need assistance.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call (55) 8526 2561 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
- The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is located at:
Paseo de la Reforma 305
06500, Ciudad de México
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.