Demonstration Alert – U.S. Consulate General Merida, Mexico (November 14, 2020)
Location: Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico (Hotel Zone Cancun)
Event: November 14 Demonstration in Hotel Zone
Demonstrations are expected to take place on Saturday, November 14, 2020, beginning at 4:00 p.m. (EST), to protest recent killings of women in Quintana Roo. The march will begin at Playa Delfines in the hotel zone and head towards downtown Cancun.
As with all such gatherings, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas where there are known demonstrations and exercise caution if you encounter a large gathering or demonstration. Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and follow the instructions of local authorities.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Contact the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy if you need assistance.
- For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call (55) 8526 2561 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611from the United States.
- The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City is located at: Paseo de la Reforma 305 Colonia Cuauhtémoc 06500, Ciudad de México Phone: +52-55-5080-2000 Fax: +52-55-5080-2005 E-Mail: AskMeridaACS@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.