Apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) at the U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana

Before proceeding, please read the legal requirements in order to transmit citizenship at:

Step 1: Scan and email your documents to 

To obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) appointment you must send scanned PDF files of the following documents to

    1. Complete DS-2029. (must be type-written, handwritten forms not accepted). Do not leave any items blank.  For any question that does not apply, write “N/A”.  Sample DS-2029. 
    2. DS-11 (must be completed online, handwritten forms not accepted): You may apply for passport at the same time.  Do not leave any items blank.  For any question that does not apply, write “N/A”.
    3. Child’s original long-form Mexican birth certificate issued by the civil registry.
    4. Proof of citizenship for the U.S. citizen parent(s) such as: US birth certificate, US passport, CRBA, naturalization certificate, or certificate of citizenship.
    5. Photo identification for each parent, such as valid passport, government-issued driver license, state ID, or voter registration card (both sides).
    6. Marriage Certificate (if the parents are married).
    7. Any Divorce Certificate or Death Certificate (if applicable).

Step 2: Receive appointment date and time.

Once your packet is received and reviewed by the Consular section, you will receive the date and time of your citizenship appointment via email. Should you fail to appear on the day and time of your scheduled appointment you will need to start the appointment request process from the beginning.

Step 3: Appear at the U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana for appointment. 

Both parents and the child must personally appear. You will be admitted to the consulate no more than 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. Late arrivals will not be admitted.  Please be sure to bring:

  • Originals of all scanned documents sent via email.
  • Photo identification for both parents.
  • All application fees.
  • Documentary evidence to demonstrate transmitting parent physical presence such as: academic transcripts, wage and tax statements (W-2), employment records, military service records, U.S. passport stamps.
  • No digital media will be accepted (USBs, DVDs, etc.)  We are not able to access the internet on your behalf to view evidence and documents associated with your application.
  • Evidence of parents’ relationship before and after the child’s birth (photos, letters, etc.)